Did you catch our Facebook party a few weeks ago? Our #MoreThanASpouse campaign was all about education, careers, networking, and empowerment for military spouses!
Over 1,200 military spouses hopped on to network in our Facebook party, and more than 4,000 were there live to watch the madness go down! It was clear that networking, even digitally, was one of the most important takeaways from the party. And rightfully so; networking can play a huge part in finding your next job, volunteer opportunity, or meeting new people.
So how do you leverage your network in the most powerful way?
Start with LinkedIn.
Create a profile, add your experience, whether it’s a job, volunteer position, or internship–LinkedIn is a great place to show everything you’ve done and gives potential employers a great snapshot of what you’re capable of!
Haven’t had a job in a while? No worries! Volunteer experience can be just as impressive when it comes to finding a job.
During our More Than A Spouse Facebook party, one military spouse shared, “VOLUNTEER! If there is one piece of advice I could give to any #milspouse looking to advance your career, show your diversity in your resume through your volunteer work!”
Once you have updated any volunteer experience on your LinkedIn profile, take some time to also do the following:
- Add any training/certifications. Even if they aren’t directly related to the job you are applying for.
- Add any skills you have. They don’t have to be strictly work related, either! Do you have 4 kids whose schedules you manage? That, my friend, is time management in its finest form. Think outside of the box when it comes to your skills!
- Make connections. Sometimes your friends and family may have a connection that neither of you thought could be helpful. Try to connect with as many people as possible.
- Ask for recommendations. You can request recommendations from old work contacts, volunteer coordinators, or friends. Adding recommendations to your profile can increase credibility.
- Join Groups! LinkedIn has groups for almost every interest, so you are bound to find a group that will be full of great connections. Once you are in the groups, add to the conversation, find new people to connect with, and ask questions.
Now it’s time for coffee.
One of the last things I want to mention is the benefit of coffee-dates, even virtual ones! Don’t be afraid to ask the new connection you made on LinkedIn for a chat session! Try Google hangouts, Facebook Messenger, or on the phone. Sometimes talking to someone for 15 minutes can create a great new connection, and also spark an idea for a job you had never even thought of!
LinkedIn may be one of my favorite tools, but there are a ton of other places for you to make connections, or find a job. We’ve compiled a list of some other great resources in our More Than A Spouse LinkedIn group, just request to join, check out the resources, and use some of these awesome tips to network your way to success!
What are your tips for networking online? Share them with us below! Happy Networking!