One of the privileges of representing the National Military Family Association is the unique opportunity to honor our heroes and military families, and to celebrate their sacrifice through volunteerism. There is no better way to achieve this goal than by attending events on behalf of the Association and working with Association Volunteers.
Events are also great ways to connect with other military spouses and leaders in your community. I have always loved working with Volunteers and traveling to various places to attend events. I have not only gained lifelong friends, but it made my own military spouse journey worthwhile. I am so grateful for all the wonderful people I’ve had the chance to work with!
If you love volunteering, serving those who stand behind the uniform, or you’re attending a national or regional event, maximize your experience and outreach by following these tips:
- Have a partner in crime, or in this case a partner in Volunteering. Working together makes the experience more fun and allows you to connect with more military families.
- Connect with everyone possible! Connect with the attendees and the different organizations exhibiting at the event.
- Rely on your partner. Maybe you know a lot about a specific topic and he or she knows a lot about something else. Together you might know everything!
- Are you shy? With another Volunteer by your side, you don’t have to worry about not knowing anyone.
- You can become a networking star! The more events you attend, the more people start recognizing you, and your network will continually grow.
- If you happen to walk into a room and don’t know anyone, take advantage of name tags. Name tags are great conversation starters!
- Recruit! Do you like Volunteering? (We hope so!) If you do, ask others to join you in your efforts.
If you enjoy Volunteering in support of military families, we want you to be a part of our Volunteer Corps!
Have you had an experience where it is better to work as a team instead of working alone? Tell us about it! And consider being a part of our Volunteer Team!