Tips for PCSing with your professional license

Tips for PCSing with your professional licenseMilitary spouses move 14% more often than their civilian counterparts, making it difficult to maintain a career. As an active duty military spouse, I can certainly understand the challenges of frequently moving and finding a fulfilling career at a new duty station. The National Military Family Association hears from many military spouses who face career challenges, especially with professions that require a state license.  Although state licenses and certifications are in place to meet a certain level of competency, the difficulties that spouses face in obtaining these credentials often mean a delay in employment, additional out-of-pocket costs, lengthy background checks…the list goes on!

Recently, First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden announced renewed efforts to streamline state licensing requirements for returning veterans and mobile military spouses. To date, there are 28 states with legislation that assist military spouses with license portability, but there is still a long way to go. The National Military Family Association has provided several support letters urging states to pass this needed legislation.

Finding employment can positively affect not only a family’s financial situation, but also the professional development many spouses yearn for. Since PCS (Permanent Change of Station) season is right around the corner, here are a few tips and resources for military spouses who have a career that requires a license:

Visit our website for more information on Spouse Employment.

Are there any additional resources you would add to the list?

ccPosted by Christine Gallagher, Army Spouse and Government Relations Deputy Director at the National Military Family Association


Add yours
  1. 1
    Lora Clark ONeill

    “Military spouses move 14% more often than their civilian counterparts”
    I’m not sure what this means? Obviously that we move more often but “14% more often” seems like an odd figure and seems less than I expected too.

  2. 2
    Amanda Trimillos

    I recommend looking at outside resources as well. Teachers with 3 or more years experience and an active state teaching certification can apply for National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. Becoming an NBCT is challenging, but if earned most states (approximately 40) accept for reciprocity with no further testing/classes. Mix NBCT with military-spouse legislation and almost all states are covered to start teaching immediately. I mentor teachers going through the NBPTS process and as a 16-year military spouse myself I specialize in working specifically with military spouses.

  3. 3
    Patricia Halsey-Munroe

    URL To American Bar Association’s ” Working Group Report on Protecting Rights of Servicemembers,”including the section I wrote on education benefits extending to spouses. Note my suggestions for laws protecting licensing of active duty JAGs. Extend those arguments to spouses. Also, consider amending USERRA to include spouses.

    I agree. The 14% statistic does not seem to address the number of moves by military families & working spouses of service members.

Leave a Reply